Newspapers in Bolton in the 19th Century
The Bolton Herald is recognised as the first known newspaper in Bolton, it was first published on 1st May 1813, price 6.1/2d by J Hurtley at the Herald Office, Deansgate. Unfortunately, it did not survive very long, but we do not know the date of its demise.
The Bolton Reflector was first printed and published by J Ogle, Market Street on 12th July 1823, price 3d. Only 19 were issued and it ceased on 22nd November 1823.
The Bolton Reflector began on 5th July 1823, price 3d, printed and published by John Yates, 82 Deansgate, later at 12 Deansgate. It ceased on 26th June 1827.
The Bolton Chronicle printed and published by Thomas Cropp, began on 9th October 1824, price 7d. Ownership passed through several hands until it was produced by James Hudsmith, 26th October 1850 at 12 Folds Street, after his death production was continued by his Executor at Knowsley Street, with the price now 2d.
The Bolton Literary Journal and Weekly Miscellany began 16th October 1830, printed by R Holden, 14 Mealhouse Lane price 3.1/2d. It also was short-lived ceasing on 9th April 1831.
The Bolton Free Press began on 21st November 1835 (sic) published by John Ogle, 7 Market Street, price 7d, ‘for ready money’, but was suspended in 1835 when the following ‘black edged’ advertisement appeared in the Chronicle on 13th October – ‘Died this morning, 31st October 1835 (sic), in Fold Street, for want of sustenance, The Bolton Free Press’. It was published again on 26th February 1836 by John Burrell, 4 Oxford Street followed by several publishers until it ceased on 16th January 1847. It was a strenuous advocate and supporter of the Liberal cause, during the incorporation of the Borough and the subsequent proceedings.
The Bolton Temperance Messenger began in 1848 by Robert Kenyon of Market Street. It continued for many years as a monthly magazine and representative organ of the Young Men’s Temperance Society. It had a wide circulation in the Sunday Schools, but the date it ceased is unknown.
The Bolton Bee began in 1851, printed and published by T T Holt & Co. Caxton Printing Office, 16 Oxford Street, price 1.1/2d. Unfortunately only 12 numbers were produced. Its motto was ‘The noblest motive is the public good’.
The Bowtun Luminary un Tumfowt Telegraph un Lankishire Looking Glass was unique of its kind. It began on 10th April 1852 and was edited by ‘Billy Coe’ (JT Staton) and printed in Exchange Street East. It moved to different sites and was progressively enlarged until it expired in the middle of the 14th volume, much regretted by a limited circle of admiring friends. It was written in the Lancashire dialect and the tales and sketches were of a very humorous character being interspersed with some severe criticisms on the characters and events of the day. Therefore it led to the publication being looked for with great interest.
The Boltonian was a fortnightly magazine of instruction and amusement which began on 10th September 1853 and was edited by John Crompton, 16 Acresfield. William Winstonley (sic) of Bradshawgate was the publisher and the cost was 2d. Although well printed and containing a very choice selection of articles and tales, its career was very brief.
Makie’s Advertiser began on 1st July 1850 and although if had a wide gratuitous circulation it only lasted some four years.
Winterburn’s (John) Advertiser began on 1st January 1854 and was only printed on one side; unfortunately it only survived a few months.
The Bolton Monthly Advertiser began 1st April 1854 as a continuation of Mackie’s by William Robinson of Fold Street. In 1881 it was still continuing to be produced on the 1st of each month, price 1d and contained a very caustic summary of local and foreign news.
The Bolton Spectator began 2nd May 1857 by Joseph Lawson, 133 Bradshawgate, price 1d. It was very short lived, but the date of its death is not known. The Bolton Examiner began 30th December 1858 by Henry Whewell, Bridge Street, price 1d and was enlarged 20th May 1859 price 1.1/2d, but was ceased in 1862.
The Bolton Independent began 8th October 1859, by James Hall and T W Sollery at 14 Fold Street, price 1d, but the following month Mr Sollery withdrew from it and on 10th December Mr Hall was joined by Thomas Cunliffe and his son John at 20 Oxford Street. This continued until the father’s decease on 24th October 1868 and since that time by the son as the Bolton Guardian.
The Bolton Evening News the first evening daily paper for Bolton began on 19th March 1867 by John Tillotson and son price 1/2d. It was enlarged on 10th July the same year and has continued ever since as a most successful speculation by W F Tillotson at his extensive premises in Mawdsley Street.
The Bolton Daily Chronicle began 8th September 1868 by the Executor of the late James Hudsmoth, price 1/2d and, being established as a temporary publication only for the purpose of the general election, ceased on 31st December, but was founded as a permanent evening daily on 8th August 1879 and was still having a wide and successful circulation in 1881.
The Bolton Weekly Journal was established 4th November 1871 by John Tillotson and Son, Mawdsley Street and Chancery Lane price 1.1/2d. Then published by W F Tillotson on 16th March 1872 by whom it has since been continued; but on 1st June 1878 the price was raised to 2d. In the 1881 review it was noted that: – ‘A very valuable series of biographical and historical notices have from time to time appeared in its pages, which no doubt will be useful to the future historian of the district.’
The Bolton Evening Guardian began 29th September 1873 and was published by Thomas Cunliffe, Oxford Street price 1/2d; it was still in circulation in 1881.
The Journal Budget began 24th March 1877. It was described as a ‘Weekly Magazine of Fiction and other Interesting Family Reading’, price 1d. It ceased at the 20th number in August 1877. If it was ever considered to be a rival of the ‘Family Herald’ and other kindred papers, its editor must have been greatly mistaken, as it has been said that few besides himself lamented its decease.